If there’s ever a hairstyle that is universally accepted by everyone, it’s the ponytail. The ponytail is a long-time fix for anyone who wants an easy hairdo (e.g. women going to the gym and don’t want hair all over the place). Nowadays, it’s no longer just an easy hair fix; it’s also an Instagrammable-look.
One of the most IG-worthy ponytail styles to date is the sleek ponytail. This hairstyle is popular among celebrities during their red carpet walks or models as they strut their stuff during Fashion Week. The sleek power ponytail is a signature look that has different variations (like a sleek braided ponytail or sleek ponytail with a swoop) and the best news is you can do this look for yourself.
Who says celebrities are the only ones who can pull off a high sleek ponytail anyway? If you want to rock this look, here’s what you’re going to need and what you’re supposed to do.
What Can I Use for a Sleek Ponytail?
The tools for a successful sleek ponytail include the following:
- Styling brush
- Hair bungee or hair elastic
- High control hairspray
- Bobby pins
How Do You Make the Perfect Sleek Ponytail?
Once you have all the tools, follow these steps:
- Your hair should have some texture. If you’re fresh out of the shower and your hair is too smooth, spray on some dry shampoo for added texture. This keeps your ponytail in place all day long.
- Determine where you want to place your ponytail. If your hair has a layered style, do your ponytail where all the shorter pieces of your hair are. This ensures there aren’t loose strands of hair messing up your look. Don’t be afraid to go higher than you normally would, though. Pull your hair up and not back.
- Use the “pocket” of your hand to control and hold the ponytail. The pocket is the area between your index finger and thumb. Hold the ponytail in place with one hand and brush out any bumps for a sleeker-looking ponytail.
- If you want a high sleek ponytail, start brushing in the front center of the head. Brush your hair back to your placement point. Brush the right side back then brush the left side back. Next, go through anywhere you missed.
- Use your hair bungee or hair elastic to secure your ponytail. We don’t recommend using regular hair elastic since it tends to slip out. It’s better to use a hair bungee or hair tie.
- To keep your ponytail looking chic and sleek, take an inch of hair from the underside section of your ponytail and wrap the tie around it. Secure your ponytail with bobby pins. The pins will cover up the hair elastic.
- Finish the look with hairspray (preferably the high control one). With a toothbrush or a powder brush, gently brush down any fly-away hair.
How to Do a Sleek Braided Ponytail
The sleek braided ponytail is one of the most popular variations of sleek ponytail hairstyles. If you want to add a touch of “pizzazz” to your basic ponytail, follow these steps:
- Holding down your hair for this style is easier when you have plenty of styling mousse. Mousse can keep flyaway hair in check.
- If you’re feeling a little adventurous, add some brightly-colored braiding into your braided sleek ponytail. This is one of the easiest ways to make your look more IG-worthy.
- Don’t forget to swoop your edges. Top off this look with laid baby hairs. To create a stunning swoop, use a small edge brush and non-flaky edge control.
- Use a silk headscarf to tie your hair down before you go to sleep. This is an important step to take if you want to maintain your hair’s freshness.
How Long Does a Sleek Ponytail Last?
Maintenance is key when it comes to prolonging your sleek ponytail. If you cover it at night, your sleek ponytail can last you at least two weeks. To avoid ruining your hairstyle while you sleep, protect the edges and roots with a scarf. Don’t forget to pin the ponytail up to avoid tangles. If you’re using a ponytail piece or a wig, put it up in a safe place to avoid more tangling.
How Do I Make My Hair Sleek Naturally?
It always helps to have naturally sleek hair when it comes to perfecting the sleek ponytail look. But getting your hair to look straight and sleek can be tricky. Some people turn to professional methods (e.g. Japanese Hair Straightening) to achieve a naturally sleek look, but others prefer to DIY their hair straightening methods.
Using hot styling tools is one of the easiest ways to do so, but using them frequently can cause breakage. When you always use ceramic straighteners, hot curling irons or blow-dryers, you might end up damaging your hair.
Fortunately, there are other ways to straighten your hair without burning or frying it. While it’ll be trickier for people with other hair textures, you can still achieve a sleeker-looking hairdo when you follow these steps:
- Blow-dry with cold air. If you’re familiar with the art of the classic “blowout,” level up the method with cool blasts of air. Once your hair is air-dried three-quarters of the way, divide it into sections as you normally would. Use your blow-dryer’s “cool” setting and blow-dry from the roots to the tips.
- Wrap your hair. One of the most popular ways to straighten your hair without heat styling is by wrapping your hair. To wrap your hair, you’ll need a satin turban or scarf and plenty of long bobby pins. Once you have all the tools, separate the top section where you part your hair and comb it flat out. Hold your hair taut and bring it to the opposite side of your head. Repeat this method for each section of your hair and secure everything with a turban.
- Sleep with wet hair. Sleeping with wet hair is the simplest way to get straight locks. Use a hair band to tie your hair in a loose ponytail, and then create a bun.
- Deep condition with a hair mask. Give your hair a shinier and straighter appearance by using a conditioning hair mask. These masks restore protein to your hair, which makes your hair look straighter and more relaxed.
A sleek ponytail can either look like an easy style or the trickiest hairdo in the book. Either way, with the right tools and technique, you can flash the sleekest ponytail with style — just like your favorite celebrities.